[Samba] [SOLVED] Re: Domain controller could not be contacted

Mark Fox mark.fox at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 13:08:34 MST 2011

Got frustrated and decided to do something I don't normally do: Take lunch.
Came back and noticed that things were working better than before.
Eventually, I tried logging onto the domain. It worked. Tried joining a
machine to the domain, that worked too.

Confused, I checked my notes and just before lunch I had restarted nmbd.

Here's my guess as to what was going on: The server that was acting as the
PDC, wasn't acting as the WINS server. An older Samba server was. This
morning, thinking that the problem was between the different versions of
Samba, I disabled WINS on the old server, and enabled it on the new server.
I restarted smbd, but not nmbd. Later, I restarted nmbd. The problem may
have had nothing to do with the different versions of Samba. It could also
have been as a result of the upgrading breaking the network configuration on
the PDC (it uses bonding). I was messing with that this morning as well.
Maybe it just took a little while for ARP and such to settle down.

Tentatively, I'm happy.

Mark