[Samba] Reserved WINS name records and Samba WINS

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Sun Feb 20 10:44:53 MST 2011

Does Samba implement Microsoft's reserved WINS name capability?

From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934864
==================================
To register a reserved name record in WINS, you must register both the
name and the qualified name. (A qualified name is a name that is
followed by a period (.) character.) For example, to register the
reserved "WPAD" name record in WINS, you must register both of the
following names:

WPAD
WPAD.

When you register both the name and the qualified name, the following
conditions are true:
All reserved name registrations are blocked.
WINS is prevented from replying to WINS clients that request reserved
name record resolution.
==================================

The article goes on to explain the procedure for an MS WINS server:
==================================
WPAD example
Use the following procedure for the "WPAD" reserved name as a model,
and complete the steps for the following items:
Every WINS server
Every reserved name, such as the "WPAD" reserved name
Any other names that you want to block
Open the WINS Manager.
Create a statically-assigned Internet group that is named "WPAD" with
a single IP address of 0.0.0.0.
Click Apply.
Remove the address, and then click Apply. You now have a multi-record
entry in WINS that has no records.
Create a statically-assigned Internet group that is named "WPAD." with
a single IP address of 0.0.0.0.
Click Apply.
Remove the address, and then click Apply. You now have a multi-record
entry in WINS that has no records.
==================================

Having only an old NT4 server to work with I can create an Internet
Group name with no IP address. However I don't understand their term
"multi-record entry" as the old NT4 server only makes a type #20
record when I select the "Internet Group" radio button and it does not
create type #00 or type #03 records. I'm wondering if this is any
different with newer MS servers.

With Samba's WINS I can add a static entries like:
==================================
"WPAD#20" 0 66R
"WPAD.#20" 0 66R
==================================
However they simply get deleted unless I use an IP address such as:
==================================
"WPAD#20" 0 0.0.0.0 66R
"WPAD.#20" 0 0.0.0.0 66R

Does the "qualified" name (ending with a .) have any meaning in Samba's WINS?

Does this have the same effect as the MS configuration above? Is WINS
prevented from replying to requests for the reserved name as is
implemented by MS or does it reply with 0.0.0.0 ?

Do I need the #00 and #03 type entries as well to fully reserve these names?

Thank you,

Chris