[Samba] Running and testing SMB2 under RHEL 5 and RHEL 6

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 06:34:28 MST 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:04:35 -0500
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does RHEL 5 or RHEL 6, or the current versions of cifs-utils available
>> for either, actually support SMB2? I don't see a "mount.smb2" binary
>> in the packages, though I see it mentioned in the docs, and I'd like
>> to really hammer the SMB2 server for performance comparisons. But it's
>> meaningless if if it's not actually mounting as SMB2.
>
> smb2fs is still under development upstream and neither RHEL5 or 6
> include client-side support in the kernel. I'm not clear on whether
> server-side support is being shipped in either though (the folks that
> maintain that piece would need to comment).

Oh, brother. I've got a colleague who really wants SMB2 support under
RHEL, for completely understandable reasons. Large Java development
environments, large sets of lots of little scattered files. I was
confused by the various references to it in cifs-utils upstream
discussions and thought it would be available. I should have asked
here, thank you very much for such a quick and clear answer!

Since I'm dealing with NetApps for back end storage, I only really
need client support. Server side support would be good: it would
wildly improve Subversion checkouts into CIFS shares for large working
copies, I expect.