[Samba] User submitted job

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sat Feb 19 18:01:20 MST 2011

On 02/18/2011 04:27 PM, Jeff Ross wrote:
> On 02/18/11 14:14, Christ Schlacta wrote:
>> On 2/18/2011 05:49, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Is there a way for a user to run a job on the server?
>>>
>>> In particular, I want to implement a 'one click' backup using
>>> rsync.  An icon on the desktop would do something (in a batch script
>>> maybe or some canned program) that would run a job under their ID
>>> that would rsync their home directory to a backup directory.
>>>

>> magic files.
>
> In my experience, if you leave backups to users you're in big trouble
> because it doesn't matter how easy you make the backup it isn't going
> to get done.

Oh, I already have nightly rsync in place to backup the home shares; it
rsyncs the whole /home tree.  But one very important user doesn't trust
this (my wife!), so on top of what I am doing every night, I want an
icon she can click on that would run a special backup just for her.
Give her something she can 'see' did something for her...

Since the home share is the user account (/home/user), I was thinking to
just create a .crontab or something similar that would then run the job
once and now.  I would like to think there is something better than
creating /home/user/.corntab, and I suspect this will not really work
anyway.

> DeltaCopy is what you are after:
>
> http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

I will look at this.