[Samba] User submitted job

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Fri Feb 18 14:52:36 MST 2011

> Is there a way for a user to run a job on the server?
>
> In particular, I want to implement a 'one click' backup using rsync.
> An icon on the desktop would do something (in a batch script maybe or
> some canned program) that would run a job under their ID that would
> rsync their home directory to a backup directory.

For Linux clients, you could store the home directories on a network
share that you back up. If you must use local home directories, add a
logout script to rsync to a network share. It doesn't matter which
machine (client or server) runs it because the network will be the
bottleneck, not the processor.

If you are talking about Windows clients, simply implement roaming
profiles. You get a sync'd copy on the server.

I echo Jeff Ross's warning to not leave backups to the users.