[Samba] call for a forum to replace the mailing list?

Christ Schlacta lists at aarcane.org
Fri Feb 18 14:22:42 MST 2011

On 2/18/2011 13:11, Mac wrote:
> On 2/18/2011 2:44 PM, Chris Weiss wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Mac<webreg.samba.org at panscend.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I may have to unsubscribe from this list. Not because you responded
>>> twice,
>>> accidentally, while trying to help. That was fine and of little
>>> consequence.
>>> However, I got an automated "out of office" response from someone
>>> else and
>>> that got me thinking "what if I get hit with that during a peak
>>> vacation
>>> time for somewhere?" Eek, my poor, filled up mail server!
>>
>> If you view the email headers you'll see a "Precedence: list".  Any
>> vacation responder that replies to an email with this in the headers
>> is mis-configured.  I'm not aware of any popular ones that are
>> mis-configured by default.
>>
>>> May be a forum would be better? If the regulars think the upside of
>>> a forum
>>> outweighs the downside (not my call, just my 2 cents).
>>
>> in other groups I'm in that do have forums, the regulars are only
>> regulars because of the mailing list, as forums require forethought to
>> go read and reply instead of it being dumped in your face as posted
>> like email does.  Forums that have list integration, like FUDForum,
>> are a decent compromise, but are far from perfect.
>>
>> If this were a forum and not a list, I'd almost certainly have not
>> read or replied to your message.
>
> Interestingly, I am only subscribed to the daily digest, yet I got an
> individual email from you personally to my address rather than waiting
> to see it in the digest.
>
> As I read this via NNTP when I have a special interest, I can reply to
> the list to make my point early. Doing email list interaction seems to
> be a lost art! That makes my 4 cents (2 + 2) :)
>
> Please, this is not an attempt at a flame war or trolling. I am just
> pointing out that this may be a relic of the past.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mac
forums are the relics of the past, direct integration with your desktop
that the mailing list provides far outweighs the pretty interface of the
forum.

I personally subscribe to enough mailing lists that I can't keep up with
them all in my inboxen, so I set up a special address for them, and now
I get all my mail at home every night, but don't get a rush of messages,
nor a digest that makes it difficult to respond to a single message.