[Samba] call for a forum to replace the mailing list?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 13:44:13 MST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Mac <webreg.samba.org at panscend.com> wrote:
> I may have to unsubscribe from this list. Not because you responded twice,
> accidentally, while trying to help. That was fine and of little consequence.
> However, I got an automated "out of office" response from someone else and
> that got me thinking "what if I get hit with that during a peak vacation
> time for somewhere?" Eek, my poor, filled up mail server!

If you view the email headers you'll see a "Precedence: list".  Any
vacation responder that replies to an email with this in the headers
is mis-configured.  I'm not aware of any popular ones that are
mis-configured by default.

> May be a forum would be better? If the regulars think the upside of a forum
> outweighs the downside (not my call, just my 2 cents).

in other groups I'm in that do have forums, the regulars are only
regulars because of the mailing list, as forums require forethought to
go read and reply instead of it being dumped in your face as posted
like email does.  Forums that have list integration, like FUDForum,
are a decent compromise, but are far from perfect.

If this were a forum and not a list, I'd almost certainly have not
read or replied to your message.