[Samba] Fedora 14 and Samba 3.4.11 compile/install blues

Mac webreg.samba.org at panscend.com
Fri Feb 18 09:27:37 MST 2011

On 2/18/2011 9:37 AM, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> On 18 February 2011 15:16, Mac<webreg.samba.org at panscend.com>  wrote:
>> It's been a while since I've done a compile. Didn't the make install do that
>> for you in the past? As well as creating a first time /etc/samba/smb.conf?
>> And setting up the script for getting the daemons in the services list as
>> stopped items? And everything else that is supposed to get you started on a
>> vanilla set up? Seems like the make install didn't finish for some reason.
>
> Umph. I don't think it's ever done any of that, although I can't
> answer definitively.
>
> Things like startup scripts are pretty much the realm of the disty;
> given that it could be in a completely different place and use
> completely different conventions depending on whether it's BSD or SVR4
> style, it would be tricky to do it in the make install stage.
>
> Normally you'd be installing over the top of an existing install, so
> if you configured the install to be in the same place as the existing
> samba you wouldn't have to change much. Because you've configured it
> to /usr/local/samba/... it's a bit more difficult.
>
> Geoff

You may be right. I haven't done a compile of Samba  for a while and, as
I have such a mixed background, I tend to forget more than I remember
any more.

Plus the http://www.internetslang.com/CRS.asp is a problem).

Although I will say that basics of automating the set up of library
linkages and executables have been done via common/standard symbolics
for a long time so that Samba (and other packages) could be run on other
distros. The manual methods of set up that I've seen don't mention
ldconfig. They just plow from make install to checking ports 137-139 and
running the daemons.

Thanks for getting me started though! I appreciate it.

Mac