[Samba] More Samba PDC problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 15 07:24:24 MST 2011

So I back up my settings for user1, by stopping smb and nmb on the
server (I have to do this, rather than disconnect it, as it is also the
DHCP server).  I was able to get in with the local cached settings and
back them up.

I then logged out, started smb and nmb and logged in again.  I got
warned that there were no settings and local settings were being used.
I then logged out, and saw the settings saved on the server in the
.../profiles/user1/ directory.

I go to log in again and get an error:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either becuase the domain
controller is down or otherwise unavailable ...  or because your
computer account was not found....

smb and nmb are running.  I try restarting them, no difference.

I had created the computer account with the script:

add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 99 -s /bin/false
-M %u

where %u is the computer name followed by a $ (this is how the other
computer was set up).

I don't see the computer account as the problem, I did get in the first
time.

So I look at the permissions for .../profiles/user1 and see they are
root:users, I change this down the tree to user1:users and no
difference.  I mv .../profiles/user1 to user1old and try again, no
difference.

Why might I be getting this error?