[Samba] Lost my Samba PDC, trying to rebuild

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Feb 13 22:38:41 MST 2011

On 02/13/2011 11:42 PM, tms3 at tms3.com wrote:

>> The problem comes with users. The users were user.HOME in 'Documents
>> and Settings'. But so far on the one computer I have tried with the one
>> user I have on that computer, it is creating a new profile for
>> user.HDA. What controls the profile directory on the computer (btw, the
>> OS is XP)? What do I need to do for it to use the profile of user.HOME?
> Disconnect the workstations from the network. Log in with the old
> domain user account. Run the file and programs transfer wizard
> (Start-All-Programs- Accessories...IIRC) and save the profile transfer
> locally. Log in with new domain user and import the saved profile.

I disconnected the ethernet.  I am logging in as the user for domain
HOME.  I get the error:

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain HOME is not available."

Before all this, if I did not have network connectivity, I could still
log in locally.  Hmmm, let's try disconnecting the server instead...  No
dice as the server is also the DHCP server.

Next let's stop smb and nmb on the server, but leave it connected....
Just took longer, but still no login.

So now why is it requiring the domain to be present to log in.  No local
log in?

So I restarted the services and got logged in.

If I log in locally as administrator, is there anyway to copy another
user's files and settings?