[Samba] Lost my Samba PDC, trying to rebuild

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Feb 13 21:03:10 MST 2011

My PDC is based on the Amahi server in PDC mode, running on Fedora 12.

I got it working previously through a bit of trial and error, and then
bug fixes to Amahi.  Friday I lost my drive and did not have backups of
my smb.conf, or my profile directories for my roaming profiles, or most
of my data.  I had a rsync kind or written, but had not croned it yet....

So the rebuild is well underway.  It looks like my server is set. So
'key' lines in smb.conf are:

workgroup = HOME
server string = home.htt
netbios name = hda
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 99 -s /bin/false
-M %u

so I added my first computer into the domain.  I did this by logging in
locally as administrator, changing it to a workgroup then changing it
back to my domain.  Looking at that script line, I suspect I can do add
the other computers just by running that command?

The problem comes with users.   The users were user.HOME in 'Documents
and Settings'.  But so far on the one computer I have tried with the one
user I have on that computer, it is creating a new profile for
user.HDA.  What controls the profile directory on the computer (btw, the
OS is XP)?  What do I need to do for it to use the profile of user.HOME?