[Samba] Samba4 and iptables

nc-codewete at netcologne.de nc-codewete at netcologne.de
Thu Feb 10 06:24:28 MST 2011

Hello everybody,

I have a running an installation of Samba4 as AD. All is working fine,
but when I start the firewall, the clients have problems to login.

By my firewall-rules from the past, I had opened the ports 137:139 and
445 for samba and new for bind the port 53.

The clients (WinXP) seems to have problems to read and write from/to the
home directories. Maybe samba4 need additional or other ports to working
fine?

Here my current iptables-rules:

IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables

#Bind
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT;
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 53 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT;

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT;
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 53 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j
ACCEPT;

#Samba
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport 137:139 -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 137:139 -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 137:139 -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 137:139 -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport 445 -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 445 -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 445 -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 445 -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT;

iptables --list

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
spt:domain state ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
spt:domain state ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
spts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
spts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
spt:microsoft-ds state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
spt:microsoft-ds state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Note! I have the profiles configured with server-copies from the
home-directorys! That's the reason for the necessary
read-/write-possibility. When I login with a client, so the client look
for the server-home-directory. When a client logout, the client
synchronizes the local-home-directory to the ad-server. Without the
running firewall on the AD it's work perfect. With the runnig firewall I
get the message on login, that the client can't read the home-directory
and when I logout, that the client can't synchronize the home-directory.
The domain-login is always successful.

Thanks in advance!

Bert