[Samba] cooperation with samba?

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Wed Feb 9 02:45:00 MST 2011

Hallo, Simon (and Andrew),

Du meintest am 08.02.11:

>> in the samba mailinglist there was a remark that samba 4 is designed
>> only for the BIND nameserver; look escpecially at
>>
>>   http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-February/160848.html
>>
>> I know that most programmers work in their "free" time (me too). But
>> I don't like working with the ISC DNS, and I'd like working with
>> "dnsmasq" under samba 4 too.

> My understanding of the situation is that full integration with AD
> requires support for dynamic DNS and the ability to update DNS zones
> with a fair variety of esoteric record types. To provide that sort of
> facility in dnsmasq would require re-writing and generalising a lot
> of code.

[...]

But what about people who want to use Samba without ADS, perhaps far
away from a Windows environment? It's more simple to configure, it
doesn't need specially trained operators.

What about "Samba 4 light for SOHO"?

I prefer using cifs instead of nfs, p.e., even in a LAN only with Linux
clients. And there's no need for an ADS. There's no need for a DNS
monster like ISC bind.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut