[Samba] bind9 dlopen/dlz problems [update]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 8 14:15:17 MST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 08:28 +0100, Marcel Ritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a short update on this issue:
>
> By using strace and having a look at the source code, I found the
> reason for the named error:
>
> Accessing samba database via ldapi requires the use of ildap.so
> (samba ldb module, which is not located in "standard ldb modules
> path"). Just setting LDB_MODULES_PATH to the directory containing
> it makes named start:
>
> export LDB_MODULES_PATH=/usr/lib/samba/ldb/
> named -u named
> -> startup complete
>
> So it wasn't my first suspect "ldap uri":
>      ldapi:///var/lib/samba4/private/ldap_priv/ldapi
>      ldapi://%2Fvar%2Flib%2Fsamba4%2Fprivate%2Fldap_priv%2Fldapi
>
> This leaves me with the task to finally get some DNS entries into the
> samba database :-)

The only way to get DNS entries in is by replicating an existing
Microsoft DNS server.

Anyway, the reason there isn't any documentation is that it's not really
finished.  We got it to the point where we were able to show that
BIND9.8 when released would do what we want, when we are loaded with the
dlopen dlz plugin.  That was an important milestone, as it is more
difficult to get a new BIND version to Samba4 users than an updated
plugin.