[Samba] Seperate BIND server for Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 7 17:49:11 MST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 07:48 +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Andrew,
>
> Du meintest am 04.02.11:
>
> >> Just for curiousity: I prefer dnsmasq as nameserver; do you support
> >> this program too?
>
> > No.  BIND is the only server that will support the range of functions
> > Samba requires.
>
> That doesn't please me - sorry.
>
> > I know BIND has a bad name in some minds, but we did look and there
> > is no suitable alternative.  I also don't think BIND deserves the
> > reputation it has gained, but that's just my opinion.
>
> Perhaps you should ask at least the maintainer(s) of dnsmasq for some
> additions. ISC-named is a monster.

We did.
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2010q1/003552.html

In short, no, it's not a viable option.

On the basis of that discussion and other research, Kai and Metze
started writing Samba4's own DNS server.  Then tridge and the BIND folks
got together, and given the excellent progress made, not reinventing
this particular wheel seems to be the best way forward at the moment.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.