[Samba] Seperate BIND server for Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 3 18:27:35 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 07:58 +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Andrew,
>
> Du meintest am 03.02.11:
>
> >> Is it possible to use a seperate BIND server instead? I'd like to
> >> not run BIND on my file server.
>
> > This isn't recommended.  In future versions of Samba4, we will
> > support BIND 9.8 and a plugin that will directly read and write our
> > database, to support GSSTSIG dynamic updates and to allow multiple
> > DNS servers in the domain.  This will need to be on a real DC.
>
> Just for curiousity: I prefer dnsmasq as nameserver; do you support this
> program too?

No.  BIND is the only server that will support the range of functions
Samba requires.

I know BIND has a bad name in some minds, but we did look and there is
no suitable alternative.  I also don't think BIND deserves the
reputation it has gained, but that's just my opinion.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.