[Samba] Repeated "Forced Election"... can this be avoided ?

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Thu Feb 3 07:58:35 MST 2011

2011/2/3  <chris.hall.list at highwayman.com>:
> I also see some DHCP logging:
>
>  Unknown Entries:
>    Unable to add reverse map from w.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa. to
> FRED.SMB_DOMAIN: not found: 16 Time(s)
>    Unable to add reverse map from y.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa. to
> BARNEY.SMB_DOMAIN: not found: 8 Time(s)
>    Unable to add reverse map from x.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa. to
> WILMA.SMB_DOMAIN: not found: 14 Time(s)
>
> Are these normal ?  Is there something I should do with dynamic DNS to
> help, here ?

If you stop this message, apply a patch in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2171571
or modify your Windows 7 machine's FQDN manually.

>  Forced Election:
>    In workgroup SMB_DOMAIN when announced server was:
>       <Windows 7> (a.b.c.x) : 22 Time(s)
>       <Windows 7> (a.b.c.y) : 120 Time(s)
>       <Windows XP>(a.b.c.z) : 120 Time(s)
>
> The "22 Time(s)" machine is only on some of the time !

Have you set these machine's firewall suitable for Internet?
If a windows machine running browsing service can not receive UDP
broadcast, the machine recognizes that  "I have to become a master browser"
and will cause election.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>