[Samba] understanding users mapping

Christian Rost cr at rocon-it.de
Thu Feb 3 06:11:54 MST 2011

Hi,

as usual there are several ways to accomplish what you're looking for.
This is what I prefer - "netgroups and granting rights", because

1) username map = /etc/samba/smbusers (linking users to root)
IMHO the really old style for those who don't know a better way. You shouldn't grant admin-rights this way.

2) admin users = frank
Somehow better than 1) but also a short-term solution you shouldn't use.

3) messing up with my netgroups and granting rights
IMHO it's not "messing with" but the only way to grant user-rights and  priviliges. It's more complex and you need to think about it ini advance, but it's a propper long-term solution.

Check out the official samba-howto - chapter 15/16:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/rights.html
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html

Cheers,

Christian