[Samba] winbind idmap Problem

marius klausen mariusklausen at gmx.net
Tue Feb 1 08:16:36 MST 2011

Hi list,

I am  still struggeling with some winbind/idmap Problem for some time, and still got no clue what is going wrong. I already asked on this list but maybe my previous description was unprecise so i want to start a new attempt:

My Problem is as follows: uid/gid information is stored /etc/passwd and /etc/group local on my samba Server,  passwords are stored in Active Directory. In order to let winbind fetch uid/gid information from local files i put the following in my smb.conf:

idmap config MYREALM: backend = nss
idmap config MYREALM: range = 100-100000

and the following in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files
group:      files winbind

Connecting to my Samba Server with AD password works + idmapping seems to work partly - heres some info from the logs:

  karmic (::ffff:192.168.0.9) connect to service testshare initially as user testuser (uid=60000, gid=200) (pid 21642)

--> uid and gid matches data from passwd, which is what i want.

[2011/02/01 16:01:26,  3] smbd/password.c:register_existing_vuid(299)
  register_existing_vuid: UNIX uid 60000 is UNIX user testuser, and will be vuid 100

--> uid 60000 still is correct - what about vuid 100?

[2011/02/01 16:01:20,  3] lib/privileges.c:get_privileges(63)
  get_privileges: No privileges assigned to SID [ xxxxxx ]

--> no privilleges assigned seems wrong ...

The actual Problem is the Following: There Are different users (from one unix group) which should write to this share - and they should be able to delete files which are written by other users from the same group, which is actually not working right now. Although owner:group is correct for files created via samba, deleting files from other users fails although file permissions are set correctly.

Ideas anybody?

Regards, Marius