[Samba] Fw: Convert Unix users to Samba users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Dec 29 05:52:45 MST 2011

On 29/12/11 12:59, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Samba<samba at hoogerdijk.org>  wrote:
>> No-one has had this problem before?

Hi
Yes. We had that problem when we added win 7 boxes to our Lan.
Fortunately, openSUSE has a tool which lets you do just that. You have a
LDAP server which handles the Linux and the Windows accounts via a samba
schema. Delete the Linux user (but not his home directory) and add the
same user as a LDAP user. Tick the samba attributes box. That's it. Yast
does the rest and you can then use single sign on for both Linux and
Windows clients. I must admit that without Yast, I wouldn't have
attempted it. This only works with Samba 3/LDAP. I'm struggling to get
it working with Samba 4 at the moment.
Steve.