[Samba] DNS update failed! - Samba 3 joining Samba 4 AD Domain

Mike Howard mike.howard at uretek.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 06:34:04 MST 2011

Hi All,

I've got samba4 set up as AD domain controller (from latest git), works
fine. I'm now attemptng to use a separate samba 3 box as the file server
(as I'm assuming this is current best practice?) but when joining the
domain (which succeeds) I get the message 'DNS update failed!'. I've
seen a lot of issues with this whilst trawling the net but no solutions.

Windows clients can join the domain, it's only samba3 clients that
can't. I haven't done anything special on the S3 clients (as I didn't
need to with the windows clients) but maybe I need to?

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Mike
--

*//*