[Samba] samba 4 and nfs permissions

Bernd Markgraf bernd.markgraf at med.ovgu.de
Tue Dec 27 14:20:49 MST 2011

> I have created the home directories with the uid number given by wbinfo.
> So user steve2 has a home directory of /home/DOMAIN/steve2 300006:100
>
> These uid:gid are respected when I export /home using nfs. I can see
> 300006:users on the client too. Even so, as you say these numbers are
> not respected outside of the samba 4 - windows relationship.
Of course you see the same uid/gid numbers on the clients. what the
clients are missing is the associated username. on your client uidnumber
300006 could very well be jennifer and not steve2. the fact that you see
the uidnumber and not a username means that your nfs clients don't have
the users in the nameservice in use. to make things work properly you
need to make the users you have in samba known to your nfs client's OS.

  bernd