[Samba] samba 4 and nfs permissions

Bernd Markgraf bernd.markgraf at med.ovgu.de
Mon Dec 26 15:43:29 MST 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-26 at 18:21 +0100, Gémes Géza wrote:

> > This seems to do what I want:
> >
> > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind
> >
> > But it's over a year old.
> >
> > Is this document still valid?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Steve.
> In a multiple non-Windows machine environment this behaviour is exactly
> what causes your problems:
> Each *nix box maintains its own SID<->uid/gid mapping which is unrelated
> to the one used by others.
That is indeed a problem. You really want a single Samba fileserver to
minimize potential pitfalls.

> Unfortunately for now the box running Samba4 is out of question, because
> it can only use its own internal mapping.
True again - is Samba4 as a fileserver ready for use now? I remember it
being recommended to serve profiles only.

> For configuring the other *nix boxes a good howto can be found at:
> http://phaedrus77.blogspot.com/2010/04/samba4-ad-domain-controller-to-serve.html
> it is for Solaris but with minor modifications it works for Linux too.
Glad that it helped someone.

> On the other hand it also works if you substitute libnss-ldap with
> samba3 winbind (with idmap-ad).
Never tried that. I've been using LDAP for ages and it just always
worked (though once again Linux was different ;-))

  Bernd