[Samba] Fwd: DNS update failed! - Samba 3 joining Samba 4 AD Domain

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Sat Dec 24 02:05:52 MST 2011

Hi All,

I've got samba4 set up as AD domain controller (from latest git), works
fine. I'm now attempting to use a separate samba3 box as the file server
(as I'm assuming this is current best practice?) but when joining the
domain (which succeeds) I get the message 'DNS update failed!'. I've
seen a lot of issues with this whilst trawling the net but no solutions.

Windows clients can join the domain and have DNS updated, it's only
samba3 clients that can't. I haven't done anything special on the S3
clients (as I didn't need to with the windows clients) but maybe I need to?

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Mike.

--
Michael Howard        mike at dewberryfields dot co dot uk
Lancashire