[Samba] Help - Mounting a Windows computer with two IP addresses

smb.10.shrines958 at spamgourmet.com smb.10.shrines958 at spamgourmet.com
Fri Dec 23 07:34:02 MST 2011

Hi all,

I need to mount a Windows share locally on my laptop. However, I cannot
do this via

sudo mount -t smbfs //host_name/share_name /local_mount

because the host_name has two IP addresses with it as shown by nmblookup
//host_name.

(That is, I try mounting and I'm given this error:
mount error(115): Operation now in progress
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) )

One IP address is a static one which the Windows computer uses to
connect to another machine. The other IP address is a DHCP-given IP and
is the one I need to connect to. I can mount the share if I use

sudo mount -t smbfs //dhcp_ip/share_name /local_mount

however, this is problematic for obvious reasons since I need the mount
to be permanent (eventually going in fstab).

My question is: Is there a way to ignore the static IP address when
mounting?

Further info: I can connect to the Windows machine using smbclient
//host_name/share_name and browse just fine. Also, nautilus can browse
the remote file system as well.