[Samba] samba 4 and nfs permissions

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Dec 23 06:22:09 MST 2011

Hi

We have AD users created with either samba-tool user add steve2 or using
the windows AD frontend from a windows box.

Users are created with home directories under /home/CACTUS

On a win 7 client all works fine. Users can authenticate against the
CACTUS domain and files are created with the correct uid:gid

We joined an Ubuntu client to the domain using likewise. /home from the
server is mounted on the client via nfs. On the ubuntu box, users can
authenticate, but cannot enter their /home folder. Making the folder
recursively 0777 allows them access but any new file created has the
wrong uid:gid

On the server: wbinfo -i steve2 gives /home/CACTUS/steve2 3000006:100
and I can use smbclient to create folders that show 3000006:100

On the ubuntu client however, any new files created have uid:gid of
1481114100:1481114113

Can I eliminate Samba 4 from debugging this problem? If so, then can
anyone narrow down which of likewise or nfs is the culprit and if
neither then any other alternatives. . .

Thanks
Steve.