[Samba] printers keep stopping

Joe Konecny joe at freakyacres.com
Tue Dec 20 07:49:55 MST 2011

I am running Samba 3.5.8 on Ubuntu 11.04 with lpr for printing.
For reasons unknown, about 1-4 times a month at seemingly random
times, a printer will stop working.  If I try to send a test page,
windows reports that there was a problem sending the test page.
To fix it I edit /etc/printcap and comment out the offending
printer, save printcap, wait about 30 seconds and then uncomment
the printer and save printcap.  That's it.  Then the printer starts
working again.  Does anyone have any ideas on what would cause this?

[global]
	workgroup = ENDOR
	map to guest = Bad User
	passwd chat =
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	smb ports = 139
	add user script = useradd -s /bin/false  %u
	add user to group script = /usr/sbin/adduser %u %g
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -N -g machines -c Machine -d
/var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon path =
	logon drive = G: