[Samba] All read and write

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu Dec 15 18:56:08 MST 2011

On Friday 16 December 2011 00:37:12 Jessica Guynn wrote:
> BTW, this is my smbstatus:
>
> PID   UID     DenyMode      Access       R/W          OpLock  Share
> 5773 65534  DENY_NONE  0x100081    RDONLY   NONE   /home/project
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Jessica Guynn <jessguynn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Got few help, but still not working.  Anyone know the configuration for
> > full read and write for everyone.  So no security needed or permission,
> > ownership, or objects.  Just full read and write for everyone.
> >
> > All the different configurations that I have tried (these are 3 separate
> > smb.conf config and NOT all together):
> >
> > security = SHARE
> >
> > [Share]
> >
> > path = /home/project
> > public = yes
> > writeable = yes
> > read only = no
> > browseable = yes
> > locking = no
> > strict locking = no
> > create mask = 777
> > directory mask = 777
> > force directory mode = 777
> >
> > security = share
> >
> > [Share]
> >
> >    path = /home/project
> >
> >    browseable = yes
> >    guest ok = yes
> >    read only = no
> >    hide files = /lost+found/
> >    force directory mode = 777
> >    force create mode = 666
> >    directory mask = 777
> >    create mask = 666
> >
> > and this
> >
> > security=user
> >
> > [Share]
> >
> >      path = /home/project
> >      public = yes
> >      writeable = yes
> >      browseable = yes
> >      guest ok = yes
> >      guest account = Everyone
> >      create mask = 777
> >      directory mask = 777
> >
> > I am able to create file and folders, but folders I create I can't take
> > ownership and is still lock.  Any ideas?   Sharing Ubuntu volume and
> > mounting it into windows 7.  So want so there's no security tab when
> > checking the properties in Windows and just have all read and write.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jessica
Hi Jessica,
there are many ways to accomplish this.

A completely open way - were _any_ connected user is allowed to
do anything with _all_ files/dirs - could be:

[global]
	security = user
	map to guest = bad user
	guest account = nobody   # see later note
.... more to come from your original smb.conf

[Share]
	comment = public access (all access is done as guest account)
	path = /home/project
	read only = No
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	guest only = yes
	inherit owner = yes
	inherit permissions = yes

Note:
"guest account = nobody" specifies the linux user who is doing
all file system access. This linux user must exist - and of course
must have proper file system access rights.

Check that user "nobody" with:
   id nobody
to also list his groups. e.g. here i get:
uid=65534(nobody) gid=65533(nobody) Gruppen=65533(nobody),65534(nogroup)

Now we need to set proper owner, group and permissions to the shared path:
Note that you might have a different group name for "nobody".

sudo chown nobody:nobody /home/project/
sudo chmod 0700 /home/project/

I assume here that the shared path is empty at the moment and that
only remote smb users are accessing this path.

If you have further questions, a lot of talk/support is also done
through IRC these days. Often much faster results than with emails.
You can find me as nickname "kukks" on irc://irc.freenode.net/

Cheers, Günter