[Samba] Samba shares and MS Office 2010 locking

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Wed Dec 14 12:28:30 MST 2011

On 12/14/2011 1:00 PM, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Hi people:
>
> I'm using Samba 3.5.11 with some sharing settings like these:
>
> [global]
>          workgroup = MARKETING
>          netbios name = SMBSERVER
>          server string = Samba, OpenLDAP Server
>          obey pam restrictions = Yes
>          passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://localhost"
>          passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
>          passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> *all*authentication*tokens*updated*
>          client lanman auth = Yes
>          log level = 2
>          log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
>          time server = Yes
>          printcap name = cups
>          add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
>          delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
>          add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
>          delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
>          add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
>          delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
>          set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
>          add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
>          logon path =
>          logon home =
>          domain logons = Yes
>          preferred master = Yes
>          domain master = Yes
>          wins support = Yes
>          ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=marketing-alterno,dc=com
>          ldap delete dn = Yes
>          ldap group suffix = ou=groups
>          ldap idmap suffix = ou=people
>          ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
>          ldap passwd sync = yes
>          ldap suffix = dc=marketing-alterno,dc=com
>          ldap ssl = no
>          ldap user suffix = ou=people
>
> [sharing]
> 	path = /var/samba/sharing
> 	valid users = @accounting, "@Domain Admins"
> 	admin users = "@Domain Admins"
> 	read only = No
> 	inherit permissions = Yes
> 	vfs objects = recycle
> 	recycle:exclude = *.tmp|*.TMP|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*|*.~??|*.log|*.trace
> 	recycle:versions = yes
> 	recycle:keeptree = yes
> 	recycle:repository = .trash
>

> Many times when a user open, modifies and then close a Office 2010
> document (Word, Excel, Power Point), the file keeps locked. A
> different user tries to open the file and gets a error message related
> to locking, read only permissions or something similar.
> After a unknown amount of time (it could be seconds, minutes, i'm not
> sure how long) the locking seems to dissapear. I tried some options
> settings related to file locking without success. There are so many
> options that using the right combination of them to achieve the
> expected result is difficult to me.
>
> Does anybody has experimented and solved this issue? I hope someone can help me.
>
> Thanks

Jason,

No Office 2007/2010 here, but for Office 2000/XP/2003, I have had good
luck with

     veto oplock files = /*.doc/*.DOC/*.xls/*.XLS/

etc., for all the different office extensions.

Dale