[Samba] Upgraded samba, mostly still works, but have one issue

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Dec 12 11:23:07 MST 2011

On 12/12/2011 10:14 AM, Mark Casey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I recently upgraded an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS samba server to 10.04 LTS which
> took the installed version of samba from version 3.0.28a to version
> 3.4.7. The server is an AD member using idmap-rid. I have updated the
> idmap directives in the config and it mostly worked (winbind works,
> Windows users can get to their shares with their correct permissions,
> etc.). The only thing that got broken is the ability of our IP
> security cameras to store data directly to the server through samba. I
> believe this may have been caused by a change to a default setting,
> such as the  allowed authentication methods or possibly something like
> 'allow trusted domains', since these cameras are not capable of
> actually joining the domain. I've looked at some of the in-between
> release notes but no changes have jumped out at me.
>
> The cameras are configured to connect to the given smb/cifs server and
> share (which exists and can be mapped from Windows if you use the
> right user). The share ('camshare') has share-level permissions set
> such that DOMAIN\camera should have full access. I have winbind set to
> use the default domain so the cameras are configured to connect as
> 'camera' instead of 'DOMAIN\camera' (but I've tried both anyway, to no
> avail). I have checked the password on the 'camera' account repeatedly.
>
> However you can see that something isn't right when the cameras try to
> mount the share:
>> root at server:~# tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd | grep camera
>>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [camera] -> [camera]
>> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
>>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [camera] -> [camera]
>> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
>>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [camera] -> [camera]
>> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
>
> If I use that username with the password when mapping the share from
> Win7, it works and the correct permissions are there.
>
> Here is the smb.conf:
>> [global]
>>         server string = File Server
>>         workgroup = DOMAIN
>>         realm = DOMAIN.COM
>>         security = ADS
>>         password server = *
>>         #password server = dc1.domain.com
>>         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>>         obey pam restrictions = Yes
>>         enable privileges = Yes
>>         map to guest = Bad User
>>         client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
>>         log level = 2, vfs:1
>>         syslog = 0
>>         max log size = 0
>>         load printers = No
>>         preferred master = No
>>         local master = No
>>         domain master = No
>>         dns proxy = No
>>         disable netbios = yes
>>         ldap ssl = no
>>         host msdfs = No
>>         template shell = /bin/false
>>         winbind enum users = Yes
> [...]

Mark,

Try adding the parameter "map untrusted to domain = Yes"

      map untrusted to domain (G)

    If a client connects to smbd using an untrusted domain name, such as
    BOGUS\user, smbd replaces the BOGUS domain with it's SAM name before
    attempting to authenticate that user. In the case where smbd is
    acting as a PDC this will be DOMAIN\user. In the case where smbd is
    acting as a domain member server or a standalone server this will be
    WORKSTATION\user.

    In previous versions of Samba (pre 3.4), if smbd was acting as a
    domain member server, the BOGUS domain name would instead be
    replaced by the primary domain which smbd was a member of. In this
    case authentication would be deferred off to a DC using the
    credentials DOMAIN\user.

    When this parameter is set to |yes| smbd provides the legacy
    behavior of mapping untrusted domain names to the primary domain.
    When smbd is not acting as a domain member server, this parameter
    has no effect.

    Default: //|map untrusted to domain|/ = |no| /

Dale