[Samba] SAMBA load balance

Wu, Eric erwu at websense.com
Mon Dec 5 23:10:28 MST 2011

Hi Guys,

I want to know how SAMBA distributes NTLM requests to multiple DCs.
As far as I know from reading the source code.
1 Samba will store all the trust domain to cache "gencache.tdb".
2 Samba will update this cache every 10 minutes.
3 Samba will select a DC from the cache based on the DC's response time and the expired time not preference.

But I really do not know the detail of how SAMBA distributes NTLM requests to multiple DCs.
The DCs are the same FQDN. All the DCs are added in "password server" in smb.cnf.

Thanks,
ERIC WU
Software Engineer II

WEBSENSE NETWORK SECURITY TECHNOLOGY R&D (BEIJING) CO. LTD.
ph: +8610.5884.4212
fax: +8610.5884.4612
www.websense.cn<http://www.websense.cn/>

Websense TRITON(tm)
For Essential Information Protection(tm)
Web Security<http://www.websense.com/content/Regional/SCH/WebSecurityOverview.aspx> | Data Security<http://www.websense.com/content/Regional/SCH/DataSecurity.aspx> | Email Security<http://www.websense.com/content/Regional/SCH/MessagingSecurity.aspx>

 Protected by Websense Hosted Email Security -- www.websense.com