[Samba] PDC & file server on same machine?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Dec 8 07:33:36 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 08:36 -0500, Aaron E. wrote:
> I have a s3.4 pdc with a bdc,, pdc is serving around 80 users on
> terminal services and another 50 fat clients,,, acts as the file
> server.. roaming profiles etc... I have no issues other than the network
> card only being 100mb,, I do have a throughput issues.. but that is on
> the table..

Our "P"DC is a virtual machine.  It search ~200 desktops and ~300 users.
That includes roaming profiles, netlogin, and some redirected folers
[some folders in the roaming profile are redirected to shares on the
server].  Backend is LDAPSAM.  Load is very low [with current-ish
version of OpenLDAP - slapd used to burn much more juice than it does
now].

Actual file-serving traffic burns up network bandwidth; but CPU and
memory requirements are surprisingly low.