[Samba] PDC & file server on same machine?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Dec 8 01:50:14 MST 2011

On 08/12/11 00:03, John Heim wrote:
> How much of a resource hog is a PDC? My understanding is that
> authentication is done vs a BDC if available. I configured my new file
> server as the domain PDC because I figured it would already have to run
> samba. I have two other machines configured as BDCs to serve as logon
> servers.
>
> I'm looking for opinions on whether I'm asking for performance problems
> by making my file server the PDC. Actually, this machine is already
> serving as PDC but its not in production yet as a file server. So right
> now, its just the domain PDC. When I log into the domain and "echo
> %logonserver%", it shows that one of the BDCs was the logon server, not
> the PDC. It doesn't look like the PDC has to do anything but handle
> joining machines to the domain.

We have to work within a tight budget and can't afford a backup server.
We serve 600 home folders and logins to 25 clients from the same box. In
an educational environment we experience slow logons which we think is
due to everyone logging on at once. Windows 7 logons are particularly
bad. Looking at top you can see slapd and nmbd throw a fit for a minute
or so. With files it's OK unless we have a group working with gimp and
photoshop. Usually it's when everyone is doing the same thing at the
same time e.g. when a teacher has given an instruction to do something.
On a normal lan I don't think you'd have these situations.
HTH
Steve.