[Samba] Windows client with two NICs

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:48:41 MST 2011

Is this a persistent VPN connection>

There are different mechanisms involved in "pinging" a machine compared
to locating machines in "My Network Places" (or "Network" depending on
your OS version.")

I would make sure your internal DNS server has entries for all the
servers in question.

I would recommend a WINS server in a LAN environment.     Otherwise you
are relying you are relying on the Windows Browser service to populate
"My Network Places."    If you are on a VPN connection, you should be
getting an IP address of the remote LAN on your virtual NIC (which
sounds like it is the case)-  assuming netbios traffic is not blocked
you should eventually see all the servers on the remote site in "My
Network Places" even if you aren't using WINS.    Make sure that the
"ipconfig /all" command shows that you have a WINS server assigned.

If you have a 2 LAN segments, each with a WINS server you want to check
out the smb.conf options for "remote browse sync" and "remote announce"
-  assuming a persistent and routable VPN connection.

My opinion is that browsing for servers in "My Network Places" is only
practical in a LAN environment-  not with a VPN connection (at least
with my 5/2 VPN connection from home- a corporate VPN connection with a
50 Mbit internet link on each end might be different.)  I would
explicitly map a drive letter to a known network server/share over the
VPN and not browse for the service.