[Samba] Windows client with two NICs

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:27:19 MST 2011

Hello

I have a Windows 7 SP1 computer at work, and I want to connect to a
different subnet over an OpenVPN connection.

First I have this question: if I have a Windows client with two NICs,
each one with its own sub-net (172.16.0.0/24 and 10.0.0.0/8) and no
routing, should I be able to see and ping all samba computer names from
both networks ?

I am asking because the 172.15.0.0/24 network is the virtual (OpenVPN)
network, with only two nodes: my computer and the VPN server. The VPN
server has computer name 'console', and has samba 3.033-3.29.el5_7.4 on
CentOS 5.7. From within its own sub-net, where all nodes run smb/nmb and
use wins for name resolving, I can `ping console´ successfully and the
name is found. However from my computer, on the same (virtual) network
as console, computer name console is no longer found. Do I have to do
something for my Windows client to see the computer names from both
networks ?

Also, I would like to have all the samba computer names from the VPN
server network, 192.168.0.0/24, visible on my windows client. Can I set
broadcast propagation somehow so the names from 192.168.0.0/24 network
are visible on the 172.16.0.0/24 network ?

Everyone says that over routed networks I can use a WINS server for name
resolution, and of course as soon as I set up the samba server running
on the VPN server machine as a WINS server, and set the openvpn built-in
DHCP server to announce it to the clients, the names became visible
(although look-up is very slow). However the VPN server network is a
small one (8 computers) and I would like not to set up any of them as a
server, so I would like a decentralized (broadast) way to make the names
visible to my Windows 7 client through VPN.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden