[Samba] Samba share gets dropped from windows

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Dec 1 11:29:38 MST 2011

I have what should be a no-brainer setup:

Windows network using AD with a single Linux box.  I need to provide
access to a single directory on the linux box to anyone from the network.
Security is not a concern.

So... On the linux box, I created a user xxxxx.  I added this user to the
local samba database using smbpasswd -a.

I added the linux box to the Windows workgroup and told it where to find
the wins server.

So far so good.  I tested this setup; I can log in to the linux box and
access the one share.

The problem comes in when I tell windows to "reconnect at logon".  It
fails.  From then on, I cannot connect to the share from windows.  I have
to disconnect, then map the network drive with new credentials.

I can't figure out why it's doing this.  What can I do to see where it's
failing?

--
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year,
but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If