[Samba] CTDB + Likewise-open : What servername when joining AD?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 01:35:49 MST 2011

Hi Nicolas,

I don't know for sure, but I cant imagine that likewise-open
comes with ctdb support. You need to ask likewise folks to
know whether there is a suppurted way to run likewise on top
of ctdb.

Generally, when running samba in a CTDB cluster, the principle
idea is that all nodes appear as one CIFS server to the outside.
(in Samba/winbindd you have the same config on all nodes an
in particular set the "netbios name" parameter to the same value
on all nodes). In particular, the AD-connector needs to join
the cluster just _once_ with the netbios name given to all the
nodes. Winbindd uses the secrets.tdb to store the join
information so that in the clustered case, this automatically
transferred to all nodes when a node joins.

I could assist you with winbindd instead of likewise-open
running on top of ctdb as the authenticaion / AD-connection
piece, but I am sorry to say, that I don't know whether this
is at all possible with likewise.

(Note: likewise-open was iirc originally a rebranded winbindd
with some additional gui tools, but this has long been replaced
completely.)

Cheers - Michael