[Samba] mount.cifs -> Unisys MCP Mainframe -- Linux touch command "setting times of `testfile.txt': Permission denied"

Tim Lank timlank at timlank.com
Tue Aug 30 18:05:19 MDT 2011

I've got a share from a Unisys MCP Mainframe mounted with mount.cifs from
RHEL 6.1 (samba-common-3.5.6-86.el6.x86_64).

when I try to touch a file, it creates the file, but reports an error -
"setting times of `testfile.txt': Permission denied"

strace on the touch command shows that it is erroring out on the utimensat()
call

utimensat(0, NULL, NULL, 0) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Documentation from the Unisys Mainframe can be found here....
http://public.support.unisys.com/aseries/docs/clearpath-mcp-12.0/pdf/70118328-103.pdf
Pages:  C-2 and C3 show what POSIX functions are/not supported
utime() and utimensat() are not among the supported functions listed there.

Is there any combination of parameters to mount.cifs that can be used that
would prevent touch from reporting this error?