[Samba] Unable to find the Domain Master Browser - novice experience

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Fri Aug 26 11:29:22 MDT 2011

On 08/26/2011 9:08 AM, J. Echter wrote:
> Am 26.08.2011 12:57, schrieb Steve Nash:
>> Bottom-line: this is now working for me.
>>

>> # /etc/samba/smb.conf
>>
>> #
>>
>> # Modifications made 1108260839 steve.nash at theiet.org
>>
>> #
>>
>> #======================= Global Settings =======================
>>

>> [global]
>>
>>          log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>
>>          guest account = Family
>>
>>          load printers = no
>>

>> #1      read prediction = yes
>>
>>          map to guest = bad user
>>
>>          null passwords = yes
>>
>>          encrypt passwords = true
>>
>> #1      winbind trusted domains only = yes
>>
>> #1      winbind use default domain = yes
>>
>>          wins support = true
>>
>> #1      available = no
>>
>>          netbios name = NashFS
>>
>>          browseable = yes
>>
>>          server string = %h (Samba, Ubuntu)
>>
>> #1      winbind enum users = no
>>
>>          default = Storage
>>
>>          workgroup = NASH
>>
>>          os level = 20
>>
>> #1      winbind enum groups = no
>>
>>          security = user
>>
>>          preferred master = yes

>>          domain master = yes
>>
>>          local master = yes

>>          usershare allow guests = yes
>>
>>          max log size = 1000
>>

>> [Storage]
>>
>>          browseable = yes
>>
>>          writeable = yes
>>
>>          delete readonly = yes
>>
>>          path = /Storage
>>
>>          force group = sambashare
>>
>>          force user = Family
>>
>>          comment = Storage for Windows
>>
>>          public = yes
>>
>>          available = yes
>>

>> ENVIRONMENT
>>
>> I set up a Ubuntu 10.04 host (NashFS) to be a central file-server for
>> network used by about 10 various MSWindows machines.
>>
>> My objective was to create just a storage area that any of the family
>> can
>> use.
>>

>> But I was finding that the view of the "Network" from MSWindows was not
>> consistent or reliable.
>>
>> .         I have no MS "Domain" as far as I know.
>>
>> .         Just a workgroup.
>>
>> .         I have tried to avoid Win7 Homegroups because I cannot find
>> any
>> explanation of what they do!
>>

>> Eventually got round to checking /var/log/syslog on NashFS
>>
>> Found messages saying:
>>
>>                  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name
>> NASH<1b>  for
>> the workgroup NASH
>>

>> I use Webmin to configure the services on this machine.
>>
>> Webmin>  Servers>  Samba Windows File Sharing>  Global Configuration>
>> Windows Networking
>>
>> showed "Master Browser?" as Automatic.
>>

>> My first change was here, to set this to Yes.
>>

>> What took me a while to figure out is the restarting the Samba daemon
>> smbd
>> is not enough.

> [...]

Juergen,

He indicated that he's not running a domain, only a workgroup, so he
preferably should not use "domain logons = yes".
However, he might want to bump up the "os level", so that the samba
system wins all the master browser elections.

os level = 65

Dale