[Samba] MSDFS working with IP address but not with name

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Wed Aug 24 03:02:34 MDT 2011

Hi,

- Server : Ubuntu server 11.04
- Samba 3.5.8
- (Likewise 6.0.0-2 if that can make sense... ? - Anyway : working
fine; A.D. integration OK)
- Client : windows XP SP3

When trying to use this brand new server as a DFS root, I'm facing an
issue I can't solve:
- Pointing to \\servername\dfsroot\linktootherserver I'm getting the
error message "share refers to a location that is unavailable"
- Pointing to \\192.168.xx.yy\dfsroot\linktootherserver , this is
working

I was pretty proud of my clean DNS architecture, and I can confirm the
windows client, the dfsroot server and the dfs target are all nicely
dns-resolving each other, including their reverses.

I also tried with the FQDN but with no luck.
The error logs is more than useless.

I don't really know in which direction to search.
You'll surely have hints?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot