[Samba] samba 3.6.0: cannot delete files on shares

Jochen Roderburg roderburg at uni-koeln.de
Mon Aug 22 13:20:27 MDT 2011

Second try via NNTP:   ;-)

After updating samba to the new version 3.6.0 on my Linux systems at home
and at work, I found the problem that I could not delete files on my shares.

This did not occur on the home system, but only on the work system, so I
looked for differences between the two. I found that the usage of
non-encrypted passwords triggers the problem. I use this on my work system,
because I want/need also classical plaintext AFS authentication there.

There seems to be something general wrong with the access rights. On one
system the windows client doesn't show the security tab in file properties
at all, on the other system the security information is shown, but cannot be
changed.

It looks also as if samba changes something permanently in its internal
configuration/data files. After I encountered the problem it stayed there
even after downgrading to my last 3.5.x version. I had to delete all files
under <logfile-dir>/locks first to return to the normal behaviour again.

Jochen Roderburg
RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                          E-Mail: Roderburg at Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany