[Samba] samba & cups & printer defaults

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 18 12:47:13 MDT 2011

I have 7 color laser printers configured in cups. Linux users can successfully print in color to them but Windows users cannot. I believe this is because the print queues are configured to default to greyscale printing. If you print a document in Windows, you can go into preferences for the printer and set it up to print in color. But samba apparently does not pass those parameters onto the print queue.  My config is right out of  the samba docs:

[global]
load printers = yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes

I'm using the samba package from debian squeeze, 3.5.6.