[Samba] windows 7 cannot connect

Andrew Masterson andrew.masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Mon Aug 15 15:43:46 MDT 2011

>From my build docs for RHEL.  YMMV and caveat emptor  ;-)

# cd /etc/yum.repos.d
# wget http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/<major version>/rhel/5/sernet-samba.repo
> where <major version> is something like 3.5
# yum install samba3.x86_64 samba3-*64*

> increase maximum number of open files and processes for large rsync and copy operations:
> add the following line to /etc/security/limits.conf
*	soft	nofile	16384
*	hard	nofile	100000
(NOTE: 100000 should be < `cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max` or one rogue process can lock the entire box!  LEAVE SOME ROOM!)

# vi ~/.bashrc
> add the following lines to the end of the script
ulimit -u hard 100000000
PS1='[\t \u@\h \W]\$ '

> to allow domain logins to the local box add the following to /etc/pam.d/system-auth **NOTE NOT NEEDED FOR NORMAL FILE SERVERS**USE WITH CAUTION**
auth	sufficient	pam_winbind.so

> REBOOT

# yum update -y

> copy smb.conf to /etc/samba from working server, or backup location, modify as needed for new host (i.e. share locations)
> copy krb5.conf to /etc from working server (note: arcfour-hmac-md5 is the only encryption type that seems to work with server 2008SP2 DCs and samba 3.5+)

> test samba configuration for basic typos, etc.
# testparm

> modify /etc/nsswitch.conf to add winbind lookups
passwd:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

> make a machine account in the domain
# net ads join -U Administrator
(note: if it complains about a DNS update, that is OK as you already specified a static IP in DNS)

> enter the DOMAIN administrator password, note: this creates /etc/samba/secrets.tdb - secure this file, as well as /var/lib/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb, gencache.tdb, group_mapping.ldb
# nmbd -D
# smbd -D
# winbindd

> ensure auto-startup.  Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add 5 lines
/usr/sbin/nmbd -D
/usr/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/sbin/winbindd
/usr/bin/wbinfo -u
/usr/bin/wbinfo -g

> check setup
wbinfo -u  (returns a list of domain users)
wbinfo -g  (returns a list of domain groups)
wbinfo -t (tests shared secret with domain)
nslookup <hostname>  (make sure DNS is configured properly)

> set up backups as appropriate...

DONE

Hopefully that helps.

-=Andrew