[Samba] difference between samba and smbclient

alex wallis alexwallis646 at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:49:14 MDT 2011

On 14/08/2011 20:22, Mark Reidenbach wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM, alex wallis
> <alexwallis646 at googlemail.com <mailto:alexwallis646 at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I want to share files from windows 7 64 bit to my distro based off
>     ubuntu 11.04, I am not going to be sharing from linux to windows 7.
>

> You culd try something like this:
> mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/win7 -o
> sec=ntlmv2i,user=domain/user,password=passwd

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply, that makes things clearer.
So, does this mean I don't need to have samba, smbfs or smbclient installed?

I tried the command you suggested above,
can you please explain what the sec=ntlmv2i part means?

when I entered the command above which you gave me, it came up with a
password prompt, and I couldn't get rid of it.
so I tried replacing my windows user name with the word guest, as I did
when I mounted cifs shares under xp, but I still got stuck on the
password prompt.
my wi ndows machine doesn't have a password on it, as I am the only user.
its host name is alex and it is on the MSHOME workgroup.
Does the case of the workgroup name make a difference when entering it?