[Samba] problems joining Windows 2003 Domain

Marc-Christian Petersen m.c.p at gmx.de
Fri Aug 12 03:29:11 MDT 2011

Hi all,

I have some problems joining an AD Domain hosted by some Windows 2003 DCs.

Tried with v3.5.11 from Debian Unstable, v3.5.6 from Debian Squeeze
and v3.2.5 from Debian Lenny, all showed the same problem.

please find attached log generated from

	net ads join -U Administrator -d 99

I always get: Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain BLUB.LOCAL

DNS entries are OK, forward, reverse, all are fine and correct.
ldapsearch works, kinit works, smbclient -k works.

The only difference from other Active Directories where I can join successfully
is that the DCs from that customer are using:

	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
	"NT4Emulator"=dword:00000001

and on Windows Clients they have to use:

	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
	"NeutralizeNT4Emulator"=dword:00000001

to be able to join to the domain BLUB.LOCAL

is there any equiv parameter for Samba?

net rpc join just works.

Thanks in advance.

--