[Samba] windows 7 cannot connect

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Wed Aug 10 06:28:11 MDT 2011

No, you do not need to turn off all of that on Windows 7. I have had no
issues with connecting 7 different Windows 7 Professional workstations into
my network. Most of the systems here are running Windows XP Professional and
are joined to the domain.

The only issue that I have had is joining the Windows 7 systems into the
domain. I understand that it might be possible, but I haven't had the time
to really dig into that.

There might be some authentication elements within smb.conf to adjust to
allow the Windows 7 systems to authenticate users on the network, but I may
have made those adjustments quite some time ago in order to allow Windows
95, 98, NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 to all join the domain in their various
ways.

All you need is to have the Windows 7 machines in the workgroup of the
Domain or the workgroup, then create individual user accounts on the Windows
7 machines that mirror the account user IDs and passwords on the Samba
server.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II