[Samba] No admin privileges after upgrade from 3.5.8 to 3.6.0rc3

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Thu Aug 4 17:15:49 MDT 2011

Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I was bitten badly by this today, I take the additional time to
>
> After upgrading from samba 3.5.8 to 3.6.0rc3, Administrator on the xp
> clients (yes, still xp sp3, no vista, no win7 clients here) lost its
> admin privileges.
>
> My Samba PDC setup evolved over about a decade now,
Ditto.
but since it still
> needs to support a small environment only (20 xp, 30 users), I kept
> the "security = user" approach,
---
(only need to support 1-2 users ! ... + my many personalities!

> Users and admin can "domain" login just fine, but with 3.6.0rc3, the
> admin lost his privileges, simply downgrading samba to 3.5.8 fixed
> this.
====
	I didn't catch my problem soon enough and it corrupted my DB,
so after going back to 3.5.10, I'm slowing working on ironing out the
problems again.

> Here's my samba build:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=samba&project=home%3Afrispete%3Asamba%3ASTABLE
>
> That's linked to project network:samba:STABLE. If somebody from this
> project there is reading here: Doesn't the term "STABLE" and the
> project description imply stable released packages? IMHO, a release
> candidate doesn't match this criteria, but others might disagree.
> </openSUSE Build Service internals>
----
I saw the joke on the suse servers...but these are the same guys jumping
to every new tech for 'stable' User releases (still haven't recovered from
an 11.2->11.4 server upgrade done last april...keep finding "gotcha's" and
collateral damage.
---
FWIW, I reported 3.6 problems in the user database area on the samba tech
list back a month ago...never got any feedback.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-July/078663.html

My prob, is everytime I get my config 'correct', they change the
definition of
correct in a newer version...(sigh...what else is new...)...