[Samba] Very slow samba performance on Centos 6

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Aug 4 16:45:30 MDT 2011

On 8/4/2011 1:11 PM, vg_ us wrote:

> cifsfs mounts are really slow, so what happens when linux, windows and
> mac clients map/mount the share? Are they gonna be this slow? Any way to
> speed it up?

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to the slow mounts issue.  However,
you're showing a peak performance of only about half line speed with
FTP, which tends to demonstrate your system is in need of overall
performance tuning for 10 GbE.  Reading, digesting, and using the
information in the following article may get you much closer to the
~1GB/s mark of which 10GbE is capable.

http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2008/downloads/pdf/Thursday/Mark_Wagner.pdf

If tweaking these things can double your raw network and FTP throughput,
it should do similar for Samba, which would mean ~94 MB/s for cifsfs
mount ramdisk-to-ramdisk or to disk.

--
Stan