[Samba] SSO's availability

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:34:13 MDT 2011

On 08/03/2011 04:30 AM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 08:17:01PM +0200, Frédéric Bérard wrote:
>> Is it possible to configure a system of authentication based on SSO
>> samba (and certainly ldap and lot of others things) ?
> Which things need to authenticate?  At my current workplace, I've set up
> Samba with an LDAP backend.  Linux machines, switches, web applications
> and various devices authenticate directly against the LDAP backend;
> Windows machines (or anything which needs Windows authentication and
> file services) use Samba.  It all plays nicely and satisfies all our
> current needs.  What are your needs?  Do you have a specific requirement
> for Active Directory (or equivalent)?
>
>> Is it possible to do this without any windows's system which act as
>> any authority ?
> Absolutely.
>
>> Wat I mean is that I would like to do this only one linux's computer....
> Unless your network is very small, I'd recommend using a minimum of two,
> so that your whole system doesn't fail because of a problem on your only
> domain controller.

I have a similar backend, with Samba 3.x DC's.   When you change your
Windows password, samba will also change your unix password.  Linux
users can use the "smbpasswd" command to change their unix+samba
passwords in one step.     So, in effect, there is a "single"
unix/ldap/windows password.

I use oracle (sun) directory server which supports multi-master
replication.    this allows me to have multiple domain controllers,
since each DC has a writable backend.