[Samba] AD and samba secondary group problems

Arif Ali arifali1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 12:32:43 MDT 2011

Hi list,

I have gone through several mailing list archives, googled, tested
several options, but we cannot figure out how we fix our problem.

NIS provides the uid and gid in Linux
AD provides the passwords
storage is provided by GPFS via samba to windows users

OS: RedHat 5.5 x86_64
Samba: 3.4.2 and/or 3.5.2

We are able to mount the home directories without any problems, we can
read/write/rename/delete. The uid, and the gid have no problems writing
to their respective areas, as per the permissions in Linux.

The problem we have is that any permissions that users have wrt
secondary groups are not being carried forward to the windows machines,
and not recognised. we have tried to test this with a user whose primary
group allows to go to sambatest, as defined below, but if another user
has the same group but as a secondary group, this person cannot
read/write/mount the share.

My smb.conf is below, (with replaced/<snipped> sensitive information)

regards,
Arif

     workgroup = DOMAIN
     password server = <snip> <snip>
     realm = domain.co.uk
     security = ads
     template shell = /bin/bash
     winbind use default domain = yes
     winbind offline logon = false
     winbind seperator = +

#--authconfig--end-line--
     netbios name = csfs
     idmap backend = tdb2
     encrypt passwords = true
     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
     smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
     clustering = yes
         interfaces = <snip>/22
     dns proxy = no
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
         load printers = no
         printing = bsd
         printcap name = /dev/null
         disable spoolss = yes
     winbind enum groups = Yes
     winbind refresh tickets = true
     winbind nested groups = yes
     winbind nss info = template rfc2307
;    passdb backend = tdbsam
     idmap uid = 1000000-5000000
     idmap gid = 1000000-5000000
         idmap config DOMAIN:default = yes
         idmap config DOMAIN:range = 500-100000
         idmap config DOMAIN:backend = ad
         idmap config DOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
     include = /etc/samba/loglevel.%m
     writeable = yes
         msdfs root = yes

[homes]